Although the women of the United States are confined within the narrow circle of domestic life, and their situation is, in some respects, one of extreme dependence, I have nowhere seen woman occupying a loftier position; and if I were asked... in which I have spoken of so many important things done by Americans, to what the singular prosperity and growing strength of that people ought mainly to be attributed, I should reply, To the superiority of their women.

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Joint Chiefs of Staff

Curious to see the connections between our armament industry and our top military brass, I made a map entitled Joint Chiefs of Staff. You will have to probably click on the link and explore the map further. I have little snarky comments and quotes on there to further flesh out these connections. If you haven't read General Butler's War is a Racket, I strongly urge you to do so if you wish to understand why the defense budget accounts for such a huge of the US government's debt burden. Doesn't it seem like a huge conflict of interest when those advising on war declarations (as if we have those antiquated things anymore) stand to profit enormously from war? Just sayin'

Link to interactive map

2 comments:

  1. Being in the military really opened my eyes to how much is being wasted in deals with government contractors. Most people have no idea how bad it really is. I've seen so many things that would make any sane person scream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book Blackwater really opened my eyes to the money to be made by defense contractors. Those people who have the $800 toilet seat contract are going to give handsomely to the politicians that keep that going for them, for example.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails