Although the women of the United States are confined within the narrow circle of domestic life, and their situation is, in some respects, one of extreme dependence, I have nowhere seen woman occupying a loftier position; and if I were asked... in which I have spoken of so many important things done by Americans, to what the singular prosperity and growing strength of that people ought mainly to be attributed, I should reply, To the superiority of their women.

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Bonus Army

Listen to the Octogenerian explain the history of the Bonus Army, World War I veterans who were promised a bonus by the USG. Often, the USG lies and short-shrifts. The Bonus Army was the original veteran march on Washington. Of course they called them commies and other names. That's what being a patriot gets you these last 100 years, generally it gets you called nuts. That piece of paper called the Constitution is all in you head, etc.

I can't wait until we get to this period in the presidency of FDR in my book-blogging series, Wall Street and FDR, to see if and how the Bonus Army incident was mentioned..




Update: Be sure to check out the veteran protest today at this link Because when the foreign policy get sooo crazy, somebody's gotta say somthin'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails