Although the women of the United States are confined within the narrow circle of domestic life, and their situation is, in some respects, one of extreme dependence, I have nowhere seen woman occupying a loftier position; and if I were asked... in which I have spoken of so many important things done by Americans, to what the singular prosperity and growing strength of that people ought mainly to be attributed, I should reply, To the superiority of their women.

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Walter Williams, VP Pick?

In the 2007/8 presidential election, Walter Williams was named as a possible VP pick by his friend, Ron Paul. In the Washington Times, Williams had this to say:


Mr. Williams’ own ‘08 favorite is Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Republican and a 1988 Libertarian Party presidential nominee, who last month announced the formation of an exploratory committee.
“If the framers of the Constitution were somehow to come back, Ron Paul is one of possibly only three people in Congress that they’d even talk to,” said Mr. Williams, adding that most politicians have a “generalized contempt” for the values of the Constitution.
I loved it when Walter would sit in for Rush, I felt like I was actually getting a chance to learn something new. I wonder how Rush feels about this? Imagine for a minute, Walter Williams doing VP press conferences.....
wow. That was a nice thought experiment, wasn't it?

I actually would get a kick out of Walter saying how he was going to get his wife a new vacuum, anything to make her life easier. The man gets it. What would I do with jewelry, but watch my toddler flush it down the toilet at the last minute? But a shop vac could be useful for when one of them puts dish soap in the dishwasher causing a sea of bubbles. Walter is in touch with real life. Unless my husband gets me a maid, I appreciate things that make my life easier, and I appreciate a dude that isn't into keeping up with the Jones' and is all about making his home a better place to live. If his wife is like me, she'd be pissed at him spending money on frivolity anyway.


5 comments:

  1. I tried to get my ex something useful once... Big mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, is that why she's your ex?
    Takes the threat of alimony and a special relationship to pull off the art of practical gift-giving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you saying I should actually get my wife a new Vacuum ? (and some kevlar for moi?)

    Actually, she gets all she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends, is it a Dyson or something?
    If the suction was intense, that would be cool..

    You guys have all those kitty stockings to fill! My kids handed me the cat stocking and I'm like, they got a cat tree this year, that's what they get. sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Dyson's are too expensive and the ball is a gimmick. But I never used one so maybe they're good.

    I do like the intense stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails