Although the women of the United States are confined within the narrow circle of domestic life, and their situation is, in some respects, one of extreme dependence, I have nowhere seen woman occupying a loftier position; and if I were asked... in which I have spoken of so many important things done by Americans, to what the singular prosperity and growing strength of that people ought mainly to be attributed, I should reply, To the superiority of their women.

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Newt Gingrich Co-Sponsored Fairness Doctrine

In 1987, Newt co-sponsored the Fairness Doctrine, which was thankfully vetoed by Ronald Reagan.
Jerry Doyle lays on the smack - most satisfying with bonus info on Newt.

6 comments:

  1. Very spooky... how can GOP voters fall for this guy? I just don't get it, I guess that republicans are just as ill-informed as the other side. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would appear that the dialectic process has captured many thought victims. A lot of people choose to be ill-informed when information challenges their paradigms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. "Ill-informed" when it comes to choosing an 'R' statist-progressive Newt or Mitt puts us in the same place that Obama (and GWB) have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another newtism I didn't know about. I will update my new post "Why I don't Want Newt for President."

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might surprise you all that the Fairness Doctrine was originally pushed and put into place by Republicans during the Red Scares following World War II.

    From the time it was instituted, until it was phased out, Democrats were largely against it, and only got on board with keeping it once the FCC stopped enforcing it completely in the mid-1980's.

    In fact, last August the Obama administration quietly put the issue to rest altogether by removing the language from the Federal Register, making it all but impossible for reintroducing the Fairness Doctrine, which he has repeatedly stated he is not interested in doing, to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't surprise me much, as I know that there is only one party in the United States, the Bankster Party. The Fairness Doctrine was useful for their purposes for a time and I guess there is no point in it with the internet and all.

      Now they are agitating for the internet kill switch, and when I say they, I mean the oligarchy.

      Thanks for the bipartisan perspective.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails