Although the women of the United States are confined within the narrow circle of domestic life, and their situation is, in some respects, one of extreme dependence, I have nowhere seen woman occupying a loftier position; and if I were asked... in which I have spoken of so many important things done by Americans, to what the singular prosperity and growing strength of that people ought mainly to be attributed, I should reply, To the superiority of their women.

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Number Seven Has Arrived!

I'm so happy to have her here on the other side of my tummy! The insomnia associated with the restless legs syndrome is finally over! She was 8lbs and 7oz. She had some trouble breathing upon being born and had to be transported to the NICU from the birthing center. By the next morning, she was doing fine and had graduated to the regular nursery by the end of the day. I think we have met our family out-of-pocket now! Thanks Obama for taking all of my disposable income!

Seriously, when my 13 yo was born, the individual deductible was $250, and now it is $1500. The out of pocket max was maybe $1500 and now it is $4000. I used to be able to budget around $1500/pregnancy and now I have to basically plan on the full $4000 for the same services I've always gotten. We had a hospital admission last spring for my younger boy, who apparently has some birth defects that were undetected, already costing me $4000 on him. Our calendar year starts over in April of all things, so I'm trying to think of what else to do medically before it starts over. I so hope we see the insurance rates come down to where they were just ten years ago!


4 comments:

  1. She's beautiful. Doesn't look all scrunched like most newborns. And such a beautiful complexion. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! My babies always look a little older than they are. She was 11 days overdue so that helps too. She doesn't act like a newborn either. She wants to be propped up over a shoulder looking around. Everyone here is proud of her.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to you and your family. She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails