Although the women of the United States are confined within the narrow circle of domestic life, and their situation is, in some respects, one of extreme dependence, I have nowhere seen woman occupying a loftier position; and if I were asked... in which I have spoken of so many important things done by Americans, to what the singular prosperity and growing strength of that people ought mainly to be attributed, I should reply, To the superiority of their women.

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, June 6, 2011

So I Just Got My Mail

and I find a newsletter from my local megachurch. It's a children's department newsletter featuring a Focus on the Family article about how important family meals are. Skimming it over, I could help but realize how impoverished the average churchgoing family in America really is. I'm talking serious spiritual poverty. The image to my mind reading this article is of desperately hungry people trying to decide how to best divide a small portion of food. I say this as someone who eats three meals a day with my family and with my husband after work. Like God instructs us in Deut. 6, effective discipleship is an all-day, everyday endeavor, but the authors of my newsletter suggested using the meal time as time to discuss prayer and "getting to know your family" better. When you are raising up children God's way, you don't need to cram in the important stuff unnaturally at the end of the day. I am so grateful that my husband and I decided to be a one-income family back when we were in high school. So many young couples become ensnared in debt and are trapped like rats in maze that will take years to get out of. By then, the kids will be grown and gone. With only a 10% retention rate among Christians, you think they'd be getting a clue by now.

The sad fact is that in many churches, a SAHM who's homeschooling is not going to get a lot of encouragement. But that's cool, because I get my validation from God's Word and not the crowd, especially in these Great Apostasy times we're living in. I just feel sorry for those who are living such a shallow life working all the time for earthly things and not investing in the heavenly treasures. This is why I write on the topics I do, because I know that modern feminism as we know it was a construct of these central planners for the express purpose of lowering American wages, increasing the tax base, and separating children from their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails